If you have questions, need assistance or would like a paper copy of any of this information, please contact:
Office of Institutional Assessment and Compliance • Flowers Hall 107 • 334/833-4416 • firstname.lastname@example.org
ACADEMIC DEGREE PROGRAMS
(updated May 2018)
The traditional program offers the Bachelor of Arts degree in the following areas:
More information regarding these programs is available at Majors and Minors.
- Applied Mathematics
- Business Administration
- Cell Biology
- Communication Studies
- Digital Art
- Elementary Education/Collaborative Special Education (K-12)
- Music Education (with a concentration in either Choral or Instrumental)
- Physical Education
- Political Science
- Sport Studies (with concentrations in Exercise Science or Sport Management)
- Teacher Education (Secondary and P-12)
The Evening Studies Program offers the Bachelor of Science in Business Management (with an option of a Health Management Concentration) and Criminal Justice. More information regarding this program is available at Evening Studies Curriculum.
SATISFACTORY PROGRESS STANDARDS
Each student is expected to maintain satisfactory academic standing and progress toward the baccalaureate degree. Continuation at the College, various privileges, and opportunities for leadership activities are governed by the student's academic standing and classification. Students who do not maintain a grade point average of sufficient quality to ensure meeting graduation requirements are subject to academic disciplinary action and financial aid probation.
Current Standards of Satisfactory progress are available in the annual Huntingdon College catalog. Please see the Table of contents or Index for specific pages related to:
- Traditional students
- Evening Studies Program students
- In relation to Financial Aid
FACULTY and other INSTRUCTIONAL PERSONNEL
Huntingdon College faculty is comprised of both full-time and part-time instructors. A list of full-time faculty is available at the Academic Departments Directory. A list of other instructors is available from the Office of Academic Affairs.
INSTRUCTIONAL, LABORATORY and OTHER FACILTIES
- John Jefferson Flowers Memorial Hall (1909), the first building on the Montgomery campus, was built of rough-faced brick made especially for the purpose and trimmed in limestone with heavy reveals and classic carvings. Today, it is the College's main administration building, housing the Offices of the President, Admission, External Affairs, Communications, Campus Technology, and Academic Affairs, among others, as well as classrooms and faculty offices. Designer H. Lanford Warren of England used the Collegiate Gothic architecture of Cambridge and Oxford as his model for the building, which is topped by a steeple graced with gargoyles. The foyer leads into Leon and Myra Allman Ligon Chapel,where the 114-rank pipe organ was designed by Professor of Music Emeritus Harald Rohlig. On either side of the Chapel are open-air cloisters with limestone tracery windows and brick floors. Flowers Hall underwent an extensive renovation in 1998.
- Miriam Jackson Home (1924) was the gift of Dr. and Mrs. Fred M. Jackson of Birmingham, Alabama. Originally used as the infirmary, it now houses the Department of Religion, the Paul A. Duffey Institute for Church Leadership and the Staton Center for Learning Enrichment.
- Seay Twins Art Gallery (1927), originally named the "Toy Theatre," provided amenities for modern theatre productions of that era. In 1972 it was renovated to be used for exhibiting students' and visiting artists' art work. The gallery was renovated and rededicated as the Seay Twins Art Gallery in August 2007 in memory of the late Noble Seay Jones and the late Pegge Seay Compton, both members of the Class of 1949. The renovation was made possible by a generous donation from Montgomery architect Renis Jones, husband of Noble Seay Jones.
- Bellingrath Hall (1928) was built as the science hall and named in appreciation for a generous gift from Mrs. W. A. Bellingrath of Montgomery. A renovation and expansion in 2008 modernized the facility and added laboratories and classrooms. The building houses natural and physical science classrooms and faculty offices.
- Houghton Memorial Library (1929) was made possible by a gift from the heirs of Mr. Mitchell B. Houghton, a founding member of the College's Board of Trustees who served until his death in 1925. This handsome facility is conducive to both study and recreational reading and houses the College's permanent art collection. Through the generosity of the Dixon family, the construction of the Charles and Thelma Dixon Wing was completed in 1989.The Dixon Wing houses a portion of the College's growing book collection and features an atrium with skylights, reading and study areas, and archives for the College and for the Alabama-West Florida Conference of the United Methodist Church. The basement of the library contains Java City--a student-centered coffee house and snack bar with an integrated Convenience Store. Houghton Library offers several rooms for quiet study and small group gatherings, including a room dedicated in the spring of 2009 in honor of Huntingdon alumna Kathryn Tucker Windham, Class of 1939.
- Bowman Ecological Study Center (1981) is a protected area in Prattville, Alabama that provides space for students to collect and study samples of plants, trees, and aquatic life. The Center includes a cabin, pond, and grassy areas. The Center and an endowment for the continued maintenance of the facility were a gift from Dorothy Bowman of Prattville.
- Sybil Smith Hall (1985) is a fully-equipped music facility housing the Lucile Crowell Delchamps Recital Hall, the Julia Lightfoot Sellers Reception Hall, faculty offices and studios, rehearsal rooms, classrooms, a modern electronic music laboratory, and one of the most extensive music collections in the South, with more than 10,000 records, CDs, and tapes.
- James W. Wilson Center (1987) was the gift of trustee James W. Wilson, Jr., as a lasting tribute to his father. This facility includes the Office of the Registrar, the Office of Student Financial Services, the Evening Studies Program, and the Office of College Travel and Event Planning as well as James J. Durr Amphitheater and the Robert Bothfeld Jr. Lounge, as well as classrooms, faculty offices, and comfortable and quiet study areas.
- Willard D. Top Stage (1993), located on the Green, is named in honor of the late Dean Willard D. Top, who served as Vice President for Academic Affairs and Dean of the College from 1971 to 1995. Top Stage is used for outdoor gatherings and performances, including the annual Commencement ceremony, weather permitting.
- Laurie Jean Weil Center for Teacher Education and Human Performance (2004) was made possible by gifts from the Weil family in honor of Dr. Laurie Jean Weil, who served as the chairman of the College's Board of Trustees for three consecutive terms. The Center offers a well-equipped sport medicine room and an on-campus athletic training/physical theraphy clinic, and is adjacent to the College's main training/fitness facility for athletes.
Back to main Consumer Information page